Monday, November 10, 2008

trail-trek planting

The Cebu Outdoor Adventure Team Inc. (COAT, Inc.) spearheaded a trail trek-planting activity last November 9, Sunday at Guadalupe - Kalunasan - Babag route. The activity was supported by DENR, providing the planters with 200 seedlings. There were four different groups that participated on the activity: University of San Carlos Mountaineers, U.M.O.D. Outdoor Club-Inc., Lear Employees and 88th Floor Employees. A week before the said event, we were told to bring about 4 L of water (3L for the seedlings and 1L of trail water), bamboo splints which will serve as tree guard from abominable goats and other green leafy eaters on that side of the trail, and tools like bolo, guna or just anything that can help with the digging and clearing up the area where the tree should be planted.



We were expecting a rainy weather that day but it was quite the opposite. Mother Nature knew that were planting trees so she did not let rain intervene our way. On the contrary, I hate the sun that day but my interest and curiosity beats away that feeling and I thought that I will really enjoy the nature trip.








The activity was started with a little chit chat on the covered court beside Guadalupe church, introductions of the group were made and assignments on the planting zone. The group was divided in to two, the more experienced group gone ahead of us to cover the farther zone and for us newbie and we were assigned to zone 1. That time I had a chance to look on the get-ups of the trekkers, they look all so rugged, men in ponytails, goatees, bags that almost matched the brands of their shirt, shoes… etc. I was only wearing slippers and I thought – I could really get my feet into trouble for not wearing sneakers or climbing shoes (which I do no have). Hahaha…


Along the way we passed by many houses, small roads, trike, PUJ’s until the concentration of domestic structures, utility vehicles were reduced into 3, 2, 1… and finally reaching the earth’s greenery of trees, bushes, wild and random growth of grass, etc. The air was also cooler and I am almost drenched with sweat. We settled our bags to the area which were already marked with holes were we should be planting the seeds. We worked our way in clearing the planting area and added more holes where we can put the little trees. I brought with me a knife with no handle because I did not have “guna”. Everybody was then busy, bending our backs, sprinkling water, etc. When everything was all set we continued walking uphill to meet up with the other group and I was hoping there could be snacks there, hehe… The other group were munching meat rolls already when we reached the spot and drinking tetra pack juice. Just around the meeting place was a wholesale of fresh green mangoes. Mangoes were unpacked from its paper covers, put into basket and when already filled it was loaded into the jeepney. It was a nice view. Group pictures were taken then after few talks from the organizers decided that it was time to head home. The trail going back to Brgy Guadalupe was different from what we took uphill. I can already feel the pressure on my feet. The soles of my slippers were not so thick making every stone a pity to my “lapa-lapa” hehe… But I was not tempted to ride a “habal-habal” because I wanted to experience finishing it without giving up even with my feet’s angst. At the end of the trail I was proud to be able to finish that tiresome walk – I made it.

My feet did not hurt morning after. I was even happier when I put on my tailored slacks – it wasn’t that tight anymore. ;)



No comments: