Friday, October 24, 2008

Online guitar lessons

It usually looks so easy to watch somebody play a guitar. Looks pretty cool to be able to do it but learning how to play it takes a lot patience and determination.
Basically you have to start with learning how to read the chord chart and memorize the basic chords: major, minor, M7, m7, etc. To be able to practice your grip and quick transferring of chords, look for a song with simple chords to start with. Choose a song with an audible guitar strum and make sure you are familiar of the song so you won’t get lost when you start practicing. The strum is very important. You can tell just by the way the strum goes what song is playing on the radio. Each has its own signature or type strum that is only unique to one song. Some may sound alike but chords do the trick or make it different sounding from the other. When you’ve mastered one song, move on to a music you picture you could do magic rendition. hehehe… Now, if the song you chose is more challenging, with out of this world chords, go online and look for extra tips if you can’t figure out what the net says, ask for somebody who can explain it to you better and of course teach you how to do it.

Right now I have the pleasure of giving lessons online. I have a friend who is very “determined” (I hope) to learn how to play guitar. It is difficult not to be able to teach in person especially when it comes to the strumming portion. It is good that she had learned the chords already and even read the tablature. It is amazing… I’m giving her assignments, like a piece for her to practice. But I can’t figure out sometimes what to give her that would improve her strums. I’m thinking of recording a video of my hand, strumming, I hope this one is effective. Hee…

I am not advertising. I am just happy to be able share what I have so others could benefit from it. ;)

3 comments:

kurab said...

pwede pa-enrol sa lesson? naa nmn ko basics. I first need a guitar of my own cuz i can't bring that one in dipolog.. =D

Pats said...

pwde kau mg enroll.bsta ky mu-agi sa ka bunal sa kamut og kubal sa kamot. btaw, kblo naman ka muma tram tram, try nimo pluck npod ;)

Anonymous said...

chay, I love the auld lang syne song, can you teach me how to do the strums for this song? heehee! I know the chords na but can't strum it properly... as usual. hahaha!

BTW, the song you last emailed me is kinda hard. are those second versions of the major chords? I can only say one thing and that is... boo ;)