Friday, September 2, 2011

experience worth a gig of memory


The long august holiday falling after weekend days opened a chance for travel-lovers to explore the world and what it has to offer. Singapore was the target destination. Last year and celebrating the same Eidl Fitre holiday, I went to Malaysia. This time I was with Greg and it was his first time to travel. I am so thrilled to see what's in Singapore and see why it draws a lot of Pinoys to their haven.

Despite of the Muslim holiday, most of establishments are open for business because majority of the population is Chinese and are Buddhist by religion.

There are many things I would like to note about the city. I would like to mention on 3 of my likes and dislikes. 

Likes:
Transportation - Buses and trains are most convenient choice during peak hours. Taxis charge extra on a certain schedule and your bill goes up to 150% after 12MN. So make sure you ride a taxi before Cinderella's curfew. The flag down differs if you happen to hail a limo.. which we did one time, the car smells expensive. 

Food - Singaporeans make it to a point to make food junctions available inside the mall. They have plenty choices of different cuisines. You should not miss the famous chicken rice stalls and try out local desserts. Hawkers centers are popular to the locals and tourists. Before heading to the city,  read reviews in the web about the food and the location of the centers. 

Cleanliness - I envy the way they implement the rules on littering. Who can afford paying 1000 SGD? If you are around the city and tempted to throw just a piece of litter, think twice.. although police are not visible around that is mainly because they are in civilian clothes.  

Dislikes:
Discrimination - Blame it to the language gap between chinese, indians, and malays.. or the different religions they believe in. They just don't hang out together. There's some kind of an invisible wall between them that they don't see each other eye to eye. 

Aromatics - If you have taken a fully packed bus or train ride, you know what I mean. The smells take you to another dimension, to a memory when my grandma was applying her dragon balm and the curry that I ate the other day. I also learned that even insiks are not fond of taking morning baths. Filipinos are quite unique.. in the morning, if you see somebody whose hair is moist with water not because of rain, that one is Pinoy. 

Pass - I dislike the fact that it is difficult to be eligible in any of the working passes Singapore is offering. Not unless you earn an equivalent of a manager's payroll then you'll have a shot of acquiring a pass. 

It seems that I am displaying my intention of working abroad. I do not close my door to opportunity as such. Why not? Maybe I will take my travelling to another level just like Lotte if I start earning dollars and not just speak in dollars... ;(


2 comments:

Yai said...

pats helu...
traveling in a new level...go girl..you can do it..
good input about singapore... :-)

Wrong Grammar Club said...

ay gwaps, utangan biya ko sa akong mother dear og 130K tungod sa akong laag.. nyahaha. dili maayo nga bisyo.. pu-asa sa ko this year og next year.. huhuhuh..

most countries are like that. They only want the best of the best from the other countries to provide more opportunity for their own.

-karlota-