Friday, January 15, 2010

Can't think of a title

Nosebleeding isn't just a physical torment, it also is a mental and emotional torture. I don't know how people discovered nosebleed to be related with too much use of the dollar language. It suddenly just became a hit to people. You can hear them say, "nosebleed ko" if they fail to understand a statement or if they spent too much time listening or speaking english. The term is also associated to the wrong use of grammar. Not everybody is born having a dollar tongue. Sure it's true that it can be learnt but without practice and influence of the people around you, you'll never be good at it.


So, why am I bragging about nosebleeds? It's because I am having it now. I have 3 reports to make within 2 weeks - it's two down and one more to go. Preparation stained my notes with blood and when it was finally time to speak in front, I couldn't stop imagining the rising level of fluid slowly climbing from my knee to my hips until it was high enough, feeling the bouyant force pushing my weight towards the surface. It's a gross way of picturing the fear I have of speaking to an audience. It's always been a struggle.


I just wonder why speaking is harder for me than just singing. It's very odd but when there's a tune to the words I speak, I don't seem to have a problem with it. Maybe because it does not let me worry about what I am going to say next simply because it has lyrics already. I could memorize a song faster than memorizing a speech. Why have we not fused music and learning english at the same time? We could all be musicians, vocalist, some out of tune but we'll all be the masters of the dollar language.


I have to end this now. I'm just saying, it's okay to make mistakes, it's okay if you pronounced it awkwardly. Make sure you made your point because the thought counts more than the lavish words.

2 comments:

Wrong Grammar Club said...

one of the prerequisite in our english speech class in college is to sing in front of the class.. :( it was embarrassing. I sang top of the world.. can't go wrong with carpenters. ahahah.

kurab said...

i have 2 assignments, 1 bring home exam and a report to splatter blood on to. sigh...can i just watch gory films instead of doing these stuffs?