Monday, July 27, 2009

run

Running is good and healthy. So far it has proven its point during the last 2 runs that I participated in.

My first major run this 2009 was the 33rd Milo marathon. It was a 5k fun run. The street near the Abellana grand stand where the marathon would start is packed with noisy students at 4:30 in the morning. I did not expect student's participation on that event. Later, I found out that it was required by their shcool. I wasn't prepared for the run physically and mentally. I wasn't conditioned for running that far! I only run at the gym on a treadmill for 20mins max and the environment is very much different. I finished 5k in 32 minutes. It wasn't bad... but I was so tired after that run. After breakfast, I went home and dozed off for around 2h. I feel that my body was recuperating from shock of that 5k run.



The second was the Great Lapu Lapu Run. It was the first marathon they put up. There was no 5k on the category so I chose 6k, the closest to 5k. The additional 1km was a challenge for me. This time I prepared my mind for it. Physically I wasn't but before that day I went to the gym and ran 30min straight without stopping and walked 10min on a treadmill. I was prepared I thought because I did not feel muscle pains after the trial run. haha... At 4:15am I was up already, ate bread, drank milo, showered and took off by 5am. The weather condition was unlikely because it was raining. It was a rain or shine event. I found that the starting point was in Gun-ob rd., a place that I am very much familiar of. I never thought I'd be back on that street again. I remember the last time I walked through the raod was the fiesta of the baranggay. No vehicles were allowed to enter the road as it would cause further traffic. The scene that morning was just the same...only that almost all wore the same shirt which spells "RUN"... I finished the run of course, it was my ticket to become a member of our runner's club.

It was surprising to see an elderly woman run in native costume with matching dangling ornaments and bolo. There was a male version also which we jokingly called Lapu Lapu. It was weird. I got to see Donna Cruz in person, she was just 2m away from we were sitting at the gym. And I was amazed to know that she joined in the 20k category. There were still 20k runners just finishing the race when we left the gym. It's rare to see celebrities go to such limit...

Today is a day after that great run and I feel just fine... no pains what-so-ever...

As long as the registration fee is affordable and I get to earn double points for my club - bring it on! Btw, I am not ever going to try 20k.

No comments: